Max Hueber, the proprietor of the University Bookstore, founds the Max Hueber Verlag.
Max Hueber develops the first project, interpreting French text, with the well-known Professor of Romance Languages, Helmut Hatzfeld. The fledgling publishing company focuses on Romance Languages, and by the end of the 20‘s has added Theology and Philsophy.
In the years before WW II several hundred titles are published, and the Hueber Verlag is numbered among Munich’s best known publishing houses. The war also demands tribute, and in 1943 the firm‘s premises are destroyed. Publication ceases.
Ernst Hueber, the son of the founder, rebuilds the publishing house. Foreign language study is added to the programme and becomes the cornerstone of the house.
The “Deutsche Sprachlehre für Ausländer” by Dora Schult and Heinz Griesbach is a milestone in the history of the Max Hueber Verlag. The first chapter of the successful German as a Foreign Language department is written.
Ernst Hueber is influential in the development of the Goethe Institute and makes the importance of learning the German language his major concern.
A new era in foreign language learning for adults begins. Together with the Volkshochschul-Verband (Schools for Adult Education) a sound, goal-oriented system of learning is developed. The firm‘s language programme continues to grow.
The increasing growth in publications and personnel requires more space. The Amalienstraße headquarters becomes too small. The Max Hueber Verlag moves to new office space in Ismaning, a suburb of Munich.
The first Hueber Information Centre for language teachers opens in Düsseldorf.
The importance of the Max Hueber Verlag grows with the increasing number of immigrants from Eastern Europe who wish to learn German. At this time the publishing house enters into strategic alliances with foreign partners and founds its first foreign branch.
The Max Hueber Verlag takes 100% ownership of the Verlag für Deutsch, founded in 1987 and specialising in grammar, self-study and other language teaching materials.
The Munich Information Centre opens in a building adjacent to the Goethe Institute.
The 75th Anniversary of the founding is celebrated. Looking to the future, innovations are introduced: new concepts, new focuses, new media. Technically and didactically superior CD-ROMS for interactive learning as well as new products for self-study in tangerine – Hueber’s signature colour – are developed, lending a new dimension to the motto “Hueber – Sprachen der Welt - we speak your language.”
For many years the Max Hueber Verlag and the Verlag für Deutsch have successfully complemented one another. In order to build market share, it is decided to focus on one trademark, and the Verlag für Deutsch is fully integrated into the Max Hueber Verlag.
The tremendous interest in Poland in the German language leads to the founding of a branch in Warsaw where teacher training in German as a foreign language is organised and delivered throughout Poland.
A “new world” is conquered as Hueber offers Web Based Training (WBT). In cooperation with e-learning specialist bit media, Hueber develops flexible and effective on-line language courses.
2005 marked the celebration of 50 Years of German as a Foreign Language. The Max Hueber Verlag remembered Ernst Hueber (1923-1977), who pioneered the teaching of German to foreigners with the 1955 publication of Schulz/Griesbach, Deutsche Sprachlehre für Ausländer. This German grammar soon became the cornerstone of the emerging curriculum and a world-wide bestseller. Its success led to the Max Hueber Verlag becoming the premier producer of teaching materials for German as a Foreign Language.
Ten years after the last fundamental change, Hueber Verlag is now recreating its corporate identity. The logo has been developed further, the company has a new unified typeface for important texts and a new slogan "Freude an Sprachen". As part of this brand relaunch the company name has also been changed from "Max Hueber Verlag" to "Hueber Verlag". In this way the "Hueber" brand will be strengthened and given more focus.